Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

Meet Avary

One of the woes of a writer is all the ideas floating around in their brains. One can't possibly write all of them; and yet we try anyway. The upside is that while these ideas are incessant, it's really nice when they're around because it means that inspiration is just around the corner.

I've had an idea in my mind for about two years now - a sort of fantasy/sci-fi, if you will. I'm planning to write it for NaNo 2011, if I can wait that long. I'm still waiting for all the plot details to come together, but it was inspired by a dream I had and a U2 song. I'm hoping my characters will figure out the plot for me - hey, it's possible, right? ;)

The other day, I was making a Polyvore set, and all of the sudden, it hit me. 

It was turning out to look a lot like Avary. She's going to be one of four main characters in said Novel. And while I don't have her character nailed down all the way, I'm slowly getting more glimpses. She's one of the most elusive characters I've ever had though, in the fact that she's really hard to figure out. That's where you come in.




[take me away]


Emily Grace commented on my Polyvore set, saying she wanted to know more about Avary. Well, the problem is... I don't know. I know she likes to wear green. She likes to hide away in the woods with her books and her journal. She has curly strawberry hair and green eyes. But other than that? I have no idea.

However, you can help. I want you to ask me questions. What do you want to know about Avary? Leave a comment on this post with one or more questions about my character. I'll figure out the answer and reply in a comment on this post, and hopefully it will help me figure out a little more about who she is.

So, what do you want to know? Post away! :)

Comments

  1. Great idea! I love it. Asking questions is the best way to find out more about your characters.

    I'll say the first thing that struck me upon seeing the image set you made, was... Nancy Drew.
    Now as I look at the images again, I think it was the flashlight that specifically made me think of it, and for some reason I associate green things with Nancy D. Nonetheless, just thought I should mention it to you.

    So, since Avary likes to be in the woods, with her books & journal, she could be said to have a methodical personality? ~~ Does she think inside herself more than she talks out loud to her friends? (more importantly, she does actually have friends??)

    Does her name have a special meaning. The name Avary might have something to do with flying, birds, or escaping something?

    That concludes my thoughts for you to think upon.

    ~ Tarissa
    http://InTheBookcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this and thought first off that it had a slight air of mystery around it. Also, the name Avary sounds like flying [okay, that made no sense, hopefully you understand what I meant] Maybe her Dad is in the air force/navy? Or is a flier? Maybe she has an interest in flying or something? You said she likes to hide away in the woods, what is she hiding from? Is there something she's afraid of? Does she prefer her own company over others? Does she write, dream, dance, sing, photograph?

    Okay, so I don't expect you to answer ALL of those...but those are some questions to get you thinking about her. ;-) I'll sit down and ask myself questions like that when discovering a character, and even little things can reveal details otherwise not known.

    The three main things that stuck out for me were mystery, flying, and loneliness. Now go for it! This looks really interesting and I can't want to see where you take it. :-)

    Love you, Sweet Skylee!
    ~Half-Pint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! What a fun idea. =D
    From what you've said, I love her character already. =P

    So for some questions...

    What is her favorite book? (or genre of books)
    Who is her favorite author and the one that inspires her the most(since you've mentioned that she has a journal I assume that she writes)?
    Favorite flavor of ice cream?
    Favorite season of the year?
    What is her middle name?
    What does she do with her spare time?
    Is she a detailistic person or does she see the big picture?
    Is she a perfectionist or a get the job done as fast as you can type of person?
    What does her handwriting look like? (round, slanted, curly, skinny, sloppy, neat, decorative, etc.)
    Favorite animal?
    Does she have any pets?
    How many brothers/sisters does she have(if any)?
    Is she the oldest, youngest, middle, or only child?
    Does she have a 'life verse' and if so what is it?
    Favorite writing utensil? (ball point pen, felt tip pen, pencil, mechanical pencil, etc)

    Whew! I'll stop the bombarding questions there...=P that should be enough to keep you answering for quite a while.

    I can't wait to read Avary's answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I totally LOVE that outfit. Just saying. ;)

    And here are some {slightly random} questions:

    How old is she?
    What type of laugh does she have?
    What sort of stuff does she write about?
    Who is her best friend?
    What is her family like?
    Is she a Christian, or will she eventually find Jesus?

    And....does she believe in fairies?

    lol, sorry, that was a super weird last question. But it was just kinda in my head. *laughs*

    Can't wait to 'meet' Avary more!!

    Love always,
    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Questions:
    Does Avary like hedgehogs?
    What is her favorite kind of weather? (Rain, sunshine, windy, starry skies, nippy?)
    Does she have a good sense of humor, and if so, what kind? (Does she enjoy slapstick, wit, sarcasm, etc.?)

    Btw, I love that outfit! Good work. :) And thanks for the great comment! Made me smile. *High-five for being awesome right back at you* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Ooh! One more! ;)
    Does Avary dance?
    Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to ask some questions, sorry it's late ;)

    Does she have any siblings?
    What are her grades like/or what were they like?
    Does she have any weird hobbies?
    Is she a fan of popular music?
    Does she like to go outside?
    Is she naturally curious?

    There you go :) Thanks for asking for us to ask questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a few basic questions I use when developing characters in theatre . . .

    ~Is she right or left handed?
    ~What's her favorite color?
    ~Where is she from?
    ~Who are her friends/enemies?
    ~What are her quirks?
    ~Is she an introvert or an extrovert?
    ~What kinds of things get on her nerves?
    ~Is she independent or does she need others to help her out?
    ~How does she feel about yourself?

    These are kind of random but they really help develop a character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts