Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

Awkwardly Awesome, Part Two

Awkward:

1. Earlier tonight, I went with my mom and brother to the grocery store. The air around here has been really smoky because of the recent fire in New Mexico, so my brother and I resolved that we would hold our breath, all the way from the car into the store. It went fine when we walked in. When I was walking out, however, I made a loud, exaggerated motion of holding my breath - puffing out my cheeks, the whole bit. I did this, only to see another teenage girl as soon as I walked around the corner. Yeah. I bet I made a good impression.

2. Last night, I realized that I have a roll of toilet paper in my room and couldn't remember why. (Afterwards, I remembered that I was using it in place of tissues, so don't worry. It's not that awkward.)

3. I accidentally broke a rule in a game on the Narnia forum I moderate... even though I am a moderator and enforce the rules. Don't worry, I do follow the rules... most of the time. I'm only human.

4. At the same grocery store, a country song started playing over the radio, and I randomly started to sing along. (It was "I'll Stand by You", by Carrie Underwood.) My mom looked at me and asked me where on earth I'd heard that song. I still don't know, but somehow, I knew all the lyrics. :P

5. This conversation took place right before we had company this evening: 
Mom: Did you brush your hair yet?
Me: I brushed it. Whether I got it to look nice is debatable.
Mom: There's a piece sticking straight up.
Me: I know. I can't get it to go down.
(Thank God for bobby pins.)

Awesome:

1. The new music video for Deer in the Headlights.

2. Thanks to the stormy weather earlier, I got to wear my Converse earlier for the first time this summer.

3. Yesterday, I officially submitted Reese's Pieces to CreateSpace so that I can get my free proof copy. This morning, I got the email that it shipped. I'm so excited! I'll be sure to post pictures when it arrives.

4. I got to eat vanilla ice cream tonight. Life is good.

5. Characters that make me smile. Yes, I have new ones since I last posted. Is that not sad? My brain just does not stop.

6. I got to play Wii sports last night with several of my closest friends. :) It was fun. And yes, I beat them soundly at archery a round or two. ;)

7. God's grace that, even though I lazed around and had a bad headache today, makes me feel like I did something just by being with Him.

8. My awesome friends. :)

9. This picture:
(click here for part one of Awkwardly Awesome.)

Comments

  1. What is CreateSpace? I've seen it on several blogs today and I'm curious, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the awkward section best. ;) I thought it was funny. And I think you're adorable. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, not too long ago I had a roll of tp in my room to use in place of tissues. I took it out because I weirded out every time I glanced over and saw it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post ;) Speaking of Adam's new music vid, I officially do NOT dig him with facial hair XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I think. Will Scarlet should make it on the list, and he should be both awkward AND awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts