Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

A Novel Idea: All About the Writing Process #2

My inspiration for blogging suddenly went poof, so that's where I've been the past few days. But here I am, back again and ready to conquer the world!

I have 4 hours left in the linky for A Novel Idea this week, so I'm barely sliding under the wire. This week is about us, the writers. At first I thought they'd be difficult to answer, but they were surprisingly easier than I thought.

If you haven't heard of A Novel Idea before, it's a blog meme by Ashley @ Ashley Aspires. There are weekly questions for you to answer about your novel, your characters, and yourself. It's really awesome and never fails to get my writing and blogging juices flowing. Do check it out when you get the chance!

And now, my answers for this week!


1. What is something you find really difficult about being a writer? 
Consistency. It's only in the past few months that I've decided to actually pick a project and stick to it. It's hard work, guys! I never knew how hard it is to actually finish a novel. Over and over and over again. And once you're done with the first draft, you must edit; over and over and over again. It's such a hard job. But fortunately and unfortunately, I can't stop.

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years, writing-wise?
Hopefully, published? But if not that, then at the very least querying.

3. If you could pick one literary character to meet, who would it be and why? 
Lucy Pevensie! Followed with a close second by Mr. Tumnus, for some reason. (I wanted to put Tony Stark here. Do comics count?) All three of these characters are very dear to me--Lucy and Mr. Tumnus for childhood reasons, and Tony Stark as a reflection of who I am and what I like now. It's hard to explain just how much I love them. They're not really characters anymore; they're more like friends.

4. What is your favorite thing about the writing process?
New stuff! (And being inspired for writing in general.) But I like getting new ideas and fleshing them out. Which is probably why I have a hard time staying consistent and working on the same project. Getting a new flow of inspiration, whether for a new project or an old one, and making a Pinterest board and plotting it out is the best. It is only rivaled by the feeling of actually finishing a novel. Finishing novels is awesome. Writing is awesome!

And thus, that concludes my answers for this week. Check out A Novel Idea, hosted weekly by a blog near you!

A Novel Idea

Comments

  1. I would say comics most definitely count toward literary characters! And Lucy and Mr. Tumnus <33 I adore them.

    I get caught up in planning and letting ideas flow too. Writing feels like magic when that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, consistency is the worst. I think that's what I most fail at too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts