Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

A Novel Idea: Books That Inspire Me


This week's A Novel Idea prompt is...
This week, tell us about the books that make you want to become a better writer. Why do they inspire you? Who wrote them? What genre are they? What is it about them that appeals to you and inspires you?

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Exactly a year ago this month, I read Since You've Been Gone on the plane ride home from Oregon. This book launched me head-first back into reading YA... and not only that, but loving to read YA. It also made me see that contemporaries could be deep and profound if I wanted them to be. Morgan Matson's writing style is a constant encouragement and inspiration to me.


Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Oh man, this book, guys. It's one of my favorites ever because of the intrigue of the plot. It kept me reading. It also had a unique format and was told with interview transcripts and newspaper articles as well as prose. I was so into this book, and it's still one of the best books I've ever read. If I can write like that, I'll be happy.


The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

I just started reading this series, but already, it's become one of my favorites. The sheer talent of worldbuilding such a complex universe is mindblowing to me. Another part I admire about HP is the wonder and magic in the series. I hope I can write something like that.


Run by Kody Keplinger

This is another favorite book of mine. I read it this year, and it broke me. The friendship between the two girls was so beautiful, and the plot was intriguing. This book made me feel--and that's what I want to write like.


All the Rage by Courtney Summers

This book is such a tough read, but it's so important. The main character was relatable, and the message of this book was vital. It didn't shy away from the tough stuff. It said something important, which is something I hope to do with my writing.



This list isn't exhaustive, and I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I've published this. But here are a few books that inspire me to be a better writer. What are yours?

Comments

  1. I am definately checking all of these out. They sound really good!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts