Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

Shine Bright

Today I want to share something I wrote for the blog Youer than You. It's a message close to my heart, so I'm crossposting it here as well. Thank you for reading, and never forget that you're more than enough. ♥ ♥ ♥

* * *

Dear brave one,

There are going to be people who want you to shrink into yourself and hide away the best parts of you. The world likes to strip away our confidence and leave us bare to the brambles and dirt of everyday life--they snag at your skin, tearing open every flaw. There's a spotlight that shines on you to illuminate all the curves and imperfections you've learned to hate. I know it's hard to avoid the messages shouted at you from every corner: you are not enough. I know. It's not your fault. You are existing in a culture that wants to drag you down, and I am sorry. So many women across the world and throughout time continue to work tirelessly to change that: to tell you, once and for all, you are enough. And you can succeed. And you are enough.

Do you believe those words? Let me say them again. Feel them to the very core of your being.

You
Are
Enough

Read more at Youer than You.
I love you. xoxo.

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts