Skip to main content

Featured

note to self: i’ll be there for you, always

written june 6, 2021. Photo by Kristine Cinate on Unsplash I have always looked for myself in other people. I think the idea was that they would somehow hold the pieces of me that I felt were missing. That maybe, if I wrapped my identity up in theirs enough, we would somehow make a whole person. It's not healthy to live like this, but I did it anyway — burning through relationships and searching for something I couldn't quite name. It was never enough, not to be myself, but it was never enough to latch my identity to other people, either. I got close, several times — I thought I had reached the pinnacle of self discovery. I thought I had completed myself. But in the end, relying on other people to help build yourself is never a viable way to do things. It's only recently that I've started to become comfortable with the idea of being enough, as I am, on my own. Several years ago, in this same position, I would have searched for another person to attach my identity onto,

Beautiful Books 2017: Tell Us All About Your Novel!

Hello hello my dear writerlings! It's that time again: the time in which NaNo prep has blissfully (or perhaps not so blissfully) begun. In honor of that, it's once again time for Beautiful People (co-hosted by myself & Cait @ Paper Fury) to temporarily become Beautiful Books as we discuss our novels! In October, we discuss the preparation process; in November we discuss the writing process; and in December we discuss the aftermath. It's all great fun! But of course, you may have some questions...

Do I have to be doing NaNo to participate? Absolutely not! While the general format is suited well to writers doing NaNo, we want this blog link-up to be for everyone! Just pick a work-in-progress and you'll be good to go. Come one, come all!

How does it work? The format is really similar to Beautiful People. Each month, we'll be posting 10 questions, except this time for you to answer about your WIP (or yourself!). You'll take our 10 questions and answer them on your blog, then come back and link up here! And don't forget to go around and read the posts of the other participants--it could be a great way to make friends!

What about Beautiful People? Beautiful People will be back! But for now, show your WIP some love! There’s always the archive if you get the itch to do BP as well.

So... what do I do? Sit tight and read the questions Cait and I will post, then use them to help you think through one of your novels! Then link back, and overall be your awesome self! Also, if you want to share this with your friends, we aren't at all opposed! Making this one big party would be really cool.

Don't forget to link back, either via a text link or this fancy blog button.


This time around, here's the thing, see: we want to hear alllll about your story!

  1. What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
  2. Describe what your novel is about!
  3. What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
  4. Introduce us to each of your characters!
  5. How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
  6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
  7. List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
  8. What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
  9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
  10. What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?

Are you doing NaNo? And are you freaking out about it yet?
P.S. - I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'm definitely freaking out.

Comments

  1. I know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm still freaking out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely starting to freak out a little. I still feel very disconnected from my story and its protagonist, and I don't do well during NaNoWriMo when I don't have a pretty good direction for the story. So whatever reason you have for freaking out, you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go 'round... or was that chocolate?

Thank you for stopping by! I read every single comment and love them all. Seriously, it makes my day. I do my best to comment back!

My only rule is basic respect and honor. Disagreement is accepted, but hate and trolling is not. Otherwise, say what you need to say, and have fun. And don't forget to grab a free complimentary mint on your way out.

Popular Posts